Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 6: Student's Perspective (Sarah Smith)

Hello everyone! Today was our last work day of the week. We started out with the usual breakfast and devotional time. Then we had the opportunity to go visit an inactive volcano. It was awesome to see the crater the volcano left as well as hang out as a group and enjoy our morning. After the volcano we headed over to Jose's house to finish painting. It was amazing to be able to help such an amazing and loving family that truly helps the community. 
We also were able to go to the school and participate in one of their Young Life Clubs. It was really cool to be able to see the way they run their club and the reactions of the children. Today was really hard saying goodbye to the kids at the school. We met so many sweet kids who just wanted love poured on them. I really connected with Christopher, a little boy from the school. He was just so silly and loved us so much. He even told me "I love you" after I gave him a kiss on the cheek when I said goodbye.
I saw God's love a lot through this trip through many experiences. Enrique definitely showed God's love through his selfless actions and putting up with all of our craziness. Jose's hard work and caring for the community let God shine through him. 
On this trip I have learned a lot about myself and the love of God. The main thing I am ending this week with is that I need to get rid of the excess in my life and replace it with good. These people get by with so much less than us, yet they never complain or seem sad about it. I also realized I need to allow more time for God in my life. Having devotional time in the morning and journaling at night to debrief has allowed me to see how much I was missing in my day to day life and that I need to start and end my day with God. 
Being able to hang out with the kids has definitely been my favorite part. Two girls gave me a bracelet and one gave me a note in English. Just seeing their selfless behavior helped me realize that I take so much for granted when I am just going about my day to day life. I hope that when I return to the U.S. I will bring what I have learned back and am able to grow in my faith. I am so blessed to have been able to have this experience for Spring Break and am so sad it is coming to an end. 
God Bless!
Sarah Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment