Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day Five: Student's Perspective (Mallory Spence)

Today was our third day working with the students at the school in Popotlan. It has been so overwhelming and awesome to see each of their smiling faces when we come each day. Every time we walk into the school, we are surrounded by crowds of joyful children who want to be known and loved. I have gotten especially close with a fifteen year-old student named Monica. She loves practicing her English by singing One Direction songs. It has been a blast getting to know her. I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to leave until this afternoon. Monica and I both had tears in our eyes as we hugged each other and said "goodbye."
We spent the second half of our day painting the house where Young Life is held here. It was definitely  a challenge for our team physically and emotionally, but it was a great experience overall. After working hard, we ate another delicious dinner, which was prepared for us by such a loving and sacrificial group of women. These ladies work so hard to prepare these meals for us each day and night, and they always serve themselves last. They are truly incredible.
We ended our evening by honoring Ash Wednesday through taking communion as a group and singing worship songs, which was a precious time spent together. Over the course of our trip, we have talked about the life that the Lord is inviting us into and the things in our lives that we can give up as a sacrifice to better our relationship with Him. Being away from the routine and the chaos of my life in Orlando has given me the time to reflect on my life and relationship with Jesus. I am so blessed that I was given this opportunity to slow down, practice patience, serve others, share joy, and see how God is working here in El Salvador. I know that my life is being changed by this trip, and I am beyond thankful for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment